Saturday, February 29, 2020

Kathy's Blog February 2020





When someone says to you it’s February, what do you think of?  Some may think of Valentine’s Day and the love that occurs with that.  Others may think of it’s just another cold dreary month.  And yet, others may think it’s a time to do some housecleaning because what else is there to do.  While I could talk endlessly about all the projects I have started or need to start, I’d like to reflect this month on the first two thoughts.



I’ll start with it’s just another cold dreary month.  I guarantee if we aren’t there already, at some point in our future years, we will be mumbling how February is boring.  People don’t want to leave their houses as readily as a June day, so visiting in homes is down.  The big push to see our loved ones occurred for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it’s time for us to get back to our lives and we have a tendency not to visit as often in January and February. While phone calls are encouraged during the height of cold and flu season, it’s amazing what stopping by to just chat 15 mins brings to a shutins day.



Therefore, the first suggestion I have for February is to stop by and see one of our shutins and bring a smile to their face.   I’m told it really does help them get out of bed each day.



Now onto Valentine’s Day.  It kind of goes with the first suggestion and that is sharing our love with someone.  But I’d also like to take a little of a branch here and bring in the word forgiveness.  Have you ever been so mad at someone that you can’t even hear their name mentioned?  Think of how that feeling of being mad turns into bitterness.  Is that a good way for us to live our lives?  Probably not.



I recently saw a movie called “Overcomer”.  Overcomer has a theme of a grandmother taking care of her granddaughter due to circumstances.  The grandmother was so bitter at her son (her granddaughter’s father) that she told her granddaughter that her father was dead.  I won’t tell you more about the movie as I’d like to invite you to join me on Sundays February 23rd and March 1st as we watch it in the Youth Center starting at 10:15. 



Can we turn our bitterness into forgiveness and then into love?  That’s something that each of us has to determine.  But I would say if there’s a month to give it a try, it’s the month of February, the month that already has love abounding in it.



Be safe and think how you can enjoy your February.



Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment